Wecome to the IWCBGA
The IW Cricket Board Groundsmanship Association was formed in 2003 with the aims of:|
· Improving the standards of club and school grounds, pitches and general outdoor facilities on the Isle of Wight
· Increasing the communication of latest methods and technology
· Promoting opportunities for education and training
· Assisting club and school groundsmen in gaining the practical and administrative skills required for the playing of cricket
· Improving the all round knowledge and education of groundsmen within the Isle of Wight
· Implementing the ECB Pitch Up-Grade Scheme and to undertake to fully utilise and maintain the ECB/Channel 4 Trailer System
· Assisting, wherever possible, the nominated ECB Pitch Advisor
Unfortunately, the equipment that was made available for clubs to use as part of the ECB/Channel 4 Trailer System in 2003 proved unreliable and, although clubs have benefited from the opportunity to continue to make savings by bulk buying materials and accessing the knowledge and expertise of the ECB Pitch Advisor, the Association did not meet formally between 2005 and 2007.
This is now being addressed as the IWCB recognises the importance of doing everything it possibly can to improve the standard of cricket playing facilities on the Island and so clubs met early in 2008 and agreed to re-form the Association. This will be ratified at an AGM to be held on 27 March 2008.
There are currently 16 grass pitch cricket grounds on the Island’ which will be 17 soon once the new county ground under development at Blackwater is complete.
The AGM to re-form the IWCBGA will take place on Thursday 27 March 2008 at IWCB Office, Pyle Street, Newport (7.30pm). All clubs with grass pitches are invited to attend.
Congratulations to Ryde CC who were awarded the prestigious Hampshire League Ground of the Year for 2007! Ryde, who have two teams playing in the Hampshire League - First X1 play in County Div 2 and Second X1 play in South East Div 2 – won the award over 190 other clubs playing in one of the largest leagues in the country. Well done to all at Ryde.
ECB Pitch Advisor for the Isle of Wight is Andy Butler who can be contacted by telephoning 07771 534964
Further information concerning the IWCBGA can be obtained from Stuart Chatfield (CDO)
tel (01983) 825462 or